An end to a wonderful era
4th August 2023
After more than three amazing years at CfEY, I’m leaving to start a training contract to become a solicitor. I’m feeling a weird mixture of excitement about the next steps, and a lot of sadness about leaving the best bunch of people (they’re honestly wonderful – I’m not even being paid to say this anymore!).
I want to give a massive thank you to Loic for believing in my ability as a researcher, even when I had limited experience, and to the team more widely for being supportive and kind throughout. Of course, shout out to Will and Alix for being the best line managers EVER – I would have crumbled without both of your support!
Here are my top five things I’ve enjoyed:
- Developing the first CfEY Work Experience Programme: Nothing gives me joy more than seeing young people grow as individuals and develop their skills. It’s truly been fantastic to see three cohorts of young people complete the programme.
- Travelling around the UK on fieldwork: The work done by teachers, teaching assistants, youth workers and everyone else working with young people is so inspiring. Every time I visited a school or college, I left feeling nothing short of total admiration for all that they do.
- Conducting some fascinating research: While I shouldn’t have favourites, I just can’t help myself! Some of my top pieces have been on how immigration status impacts access to HE, and the benefits of public legal education for young people.
- Our recent Celebration of Resilience and Recovery event: The panel, the keynote speaker, the venue – all awe inspiring! The team at CfEY – particularly, Alix, Lee-Ann, Baz and Terry – put so much work into pulling this event together and it was such a huge success.
- Our days out! No one does an away day better than CfEY. From camping to Paris to making pandemic curries on Zoom. The team really knows how to have a good time!
Thank you CfEY and all the amazing people I’ve met throughout my time here.