#050 – Microsoft: The Digital Divide
22nd February 2021
In this episode of The Youth and Education Podcast, CfEY Associate Alix Robertson chairs a roundtable discussion on the ‘digital divide’, with a panel of guests including Chris Rothwell, Director of Education at Microsoft; Sebastien Chapleau, Headteacher and Community Organiser with Citizens UK; Kelly Loftus, Director of External Relations at Teach First; and CfEY’s Chief Executive Loic Menzies.
Alix, Chris, Sebastien, Kelly and Loic discuss:
- What we mean by the digital divide
- The extent to which the digital divide is an issue at present
- Why the digital divide is important to Microsoft and its work
- How the challenges of the digital divide are affecting young people
- How access to technology has changed since the beginning of the pandemic
- How different stakeholders can help
- Examples of positive change
- Lessons that can be learned from previous work
The conversation follows the launch of Microsoft and CfEY’s report: ‘The Digital Divide: Closing the achievement gap in the connected classroom’, which included findings from a TeacherTapp survey, for example that just 1% of primary state schools provide devices that their pupils can take home, compared to 38% of private primary schools.
You can read the full report here.
Found the show useful?
Leave a review on iTunes
‘Follow Your Dreams’ by Scott Holmes from http://freemusicarchive.org
Want to contact us?
[email protected] / @sambaars
[email protected] / @AlixHRobertson
[email protected] / @VanessaGJ__