#055 – Bart Shaw and Simon Knight: SEND
6th July 2021
This episode of The Youth and Education Podcast is the second in our special series, taking an in depth look at the topics explored in the new CfEY book ‘Young People on the Margins’. CfEY Head of Policy Bart Shaw speaks to Simon Knight, Joint Headteacher at Frank Wise School and National SEND Leader at Whole School SEND, about all things SEND (special educational needs and/or disabilities).
Bart and Simon discuss:
- The marginalisation of young people with SEND
- Collaboration between mainstream and special schools
- The role of Ofsted
- Research from the Institute of Health Equity
- The drop-off of specialist support that can happen after compulsory schooling ends
- Hope for the future in terms of how we meet the needs of young people with SEND
Found the show useful?
Leave a review on iTunes
‘Follow Your Dreams’ by Scott Holmes from http://freemusicarchive.org
Want to contact us?
[email protected] / @AlixHRobertson
[email protected] / @y33les
[email protected] / @VanessaGJ__
***CORRECTION*** In reference to the description of Simon’s roles in the introduction to this podcast: Simon has previously served as a member of the drafting group for the Teaching Assistant Standards and also as a member of the group working on the Standard for Teachers Professional Development.